In the 18 months that we have known Aissatou, the improvement in English language skills, confidence and the ability to run her own life have been immense.
Through carefully planned home lessons and doggedly using English at every opportunity, she is now able to do everything by herself. This includes medical appointments and arranging nursery places for her children, but also those everyday transactions which we take for granted; understanding and paying bills, dealing with her housing provider, chatting to neighbours.
In September, she started ESOL classes at college at quite a high level, and we’re confident that she will settle into college very easily thanks to her home lessons. Within a few years Aissatou should be well on her way to achieving her ambition of completing her Pharmacist training so that she can practice her profession in the UK. Without the help of English at Home, this goal would have been a very long way off indeed.
Achievements in 2015/16
- In 2015/16 we offered tailored English lessons to 140 people from 15 different countries, who would otherwise be excluded from learning English.
- We increased the number of volunteer tutors to 113, who in turn provided almost 1,655 hours of teaching.
- Our 6 month reviews with learners found that in all cases there had been an increase in the level of confidence, with nearly all clients reporting that they now used English much more outside the home.
- By building people’s confidence, we have supported 11 people to successfully take up college courses and 15 to move on to weekly classes outside the home.
- We’ve published all our learning materials online so that anyone can use them, and we also keep a list of online resources that other people have produced.