How can I help my learner get into college?

LASSN’s Q&A Board ListCategory: English at HomeHow can I help my learner get into college?
Maryam asked 9 months ago

Last year the person I tutor applied for college but didn’t get a place. I really want to make sure they don’t miss out this year. What can I do to help them?

1 Answers
Riley Coles answered 9 months ago

Applying for ESOL at Leeds City College: A guide for English at Home learners and tutors
What: 2-3 ESOL lessons per week, 2.5 hours each
Where: Enfield Centre, Roundhay Road, LS7 3BH
or Deacon House, Seacroft Avenue, LS14 6JD
When: Classes start in September every year
January – March: Submit application
6 weeks later: Receive letter invitation for assessment
Spring/early summer: Assessment at college
June/July: Apply for financial support and childcare
Late summer: Invite for regsitration / rejection letter
End of August: Registration
September: Lessons begin
You can apply online or by phone
Online application:
Phone application: 0113 3861997
Applications open in January. They receive huge numbers of applications so you must apply early, preferably before March, in order to get a place for September.
These are a semi-formal test of the four language skills. Applicants will not pass or fail. The point of the assessment is to work out which level of class will suit them.
College staff will also take basic personal details. This is the time to mention childcare needs, financial problems and any pending holidays, especially long trips abroad
Fees and Finances
ESOL is free for people on JSA/ESA. They do JobCentre+ mandated courses for 12 – 16 weeks which are separate from mainstream ESOL provision. Learners would need to be referred by JobCentre+.
People normally have to pay for other ESOL courses but I contacted Nicola Johnson at Leeds City College who said refugees and asylum seekers would get the ESOL course for free providing they bring evidence e.g. NASS postal office receipts, ID card etc.
19+ Discretionary Learner Support Fund
Leeds City College has funds to provide help for students with course-related costs such as equipment, stationery, residential trips, travel to and from college, specialist clothing and child care. There may be help towards the cost of fees for some courses.
Students must be on a Skills Funding Agency (SFA) course, attending at least 5 hours per week, have a low income, and meet residency/immigration status criteria (refugee/indefinite or discretionary or exceptional leave to remain/humanitarian protection/asylum seeker waiting more than 6 months for a decision/receiving section 4 support).
The funds are limited and applications are dealt with on a first come, first served basis, so please apply as soon as possible.
The college has no crèche. They do however have a pot of money, and a member of staff to help new students to both get a nursery/childminder place and pay for it (if they are on a low income). Karen Shaw 07773338401 is the contact person.
The fund will open in June/July for students starting in September. The funding pot is limited so it is essential that people apply ASAP. You can apply for childcare help before getting confirmation of your college place. The eligibility criteria are the same as the 19+ Discretionary Learner Support Fund (see above).
Chasing up
Clients MUST call the college (Enfield Centre reception on 0113 3861997) if:

  • They sent an application more than 6 weeks ago and have not had a letter
  • They move house
  • They cannot make the assessment date for a good reason e.g. holiday, hospitalisation. If college are informed beforehand they will happily rearrange the assessment and the application will stand with the original date, if they are not informed this may not be the case.
  • They are going away over summer so will miss the letter about registration or registration itself. If they will miss the start of term by more than a few days they are unlikely to get a place at all.

Tutors may need to reassure their learner that chasing up is normal in the UK and will not negatively affect their application.
Leeds City College contact details
Phone:  General enquiries 0113 3861997
            ESOL department 0113 284 6315
Email: [email protected]
Address: Enfield Centre, Roundhay Road, Leeds, LS7 3BH
or Deacon House, Seacroft Avenue, Leeds, LS14 6JD

Your Answer

7 + 7 =

Get in touch

Designed by Totaal
Translate »